My Whimcees

My Whimcees

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Sneak Peak to Ali's Magic Box

I have a little friend who's name is Ali. She is smart and cute, has red-hair, is 10 years old and is a liver transplant survivor. She is also a very brave little girl.

Recently she became very ill and was hospitalized. She had to have surgery which was much more intensive than expected, causing difficulty in pain management and an extended recovery time. But she got through it all and was able to go home, with the hope of being able to spend the last few days of the school year with her friends. This was not to be and Ali is now back in the hospital and once again she is very ill. There is now also the danger of her liver transplant being rejected.

I wanted to make something special for Ali and so I decided to make her a Magic Box. I went to look for a special stamp set that might appeal to a little girl. I found this wonderful set of 4 little oriental dolls and thought how cute they were. Then I learned that her favorite colors were pink and purple and put together different card stock and papers that I felt complimented each other. I knew that I wanted to use the pop-up cake as a starting point for the center of the box but that was about the only plan I had at that point.

I started to make the box and immediately decided to make this into a oriental scene for the 4 little dolls, but to achieve this I had to make a pattern for what would be my design in the middle of the box. It took me hours to make the pattern and each time I failed it made me even more determined to create this idea that I had in my mind. It was for Ali and I couldn't just give up. I was finally able to make the pattern, but I can now safely say that I am much more skilled in pattern making for the next idea I have than I was for this one! :<} I would ask that you please send prayers and good thoughts for Ali, that the doctors can find answers to what will help Ali to regain her health and be able to come home again. She has had to endure so many painful treatments and procedures in the last few weeks and still she remains brave and does all that is asked of her. Her mother Lori sends us updates and in the last one she had a comment from Ali to relate and it almost broke my heart. Lori said that Ali told her the night before that "Jesus must be really busy, ‘cause he hasn't made me better yet." Lori told her that she was sure he'll get to her soon.

So here is a sneak peak of Ali's Magic Box. I will have photos to post tomorrow.

Thank you for checking out my blog!

1 comment:

Creations by Patti said...

I LOVE THESE GIRLS! I need to case this!!!!!! OMG - way too cute! And, of course, I lvoe the colors, too! Great job! You have inspired me to use these girls more often - I tend to tuck them safely away.