My Whimcees

My Whimcees

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Amazing Christmas Amaryllis - Two Stalks and Fourteen Blooms!

Hello!

I thought I would share some color on this very white and snowy day here in this part of WI - of my amazing Christmas Amaryllis of Fourteen Blooms.


I purchased this bulb from a local Copps grocery store. They have a small floral section that I had never really have paid much attention to as my budget does not include cut flowers and I do not have room in my apartment for plants. But at Christmas the flowers had expanded into the adjoining produce section and there by the bananas I saw these Amaryllis plants. I had some Christmas money and they were not too expensive and I remembered how I enjoyed having them in the past.

I used to have an Amaryllis bulb growing every year at Christmas time - a tradition that brought some color into my home and it is fun to watch them grow as they do this quite rapidly once the stalks start to grow. The plant I picked had two small stalks with a bud forming on each. It was called a Christmas Star and the first flower opened on Christmas Day.

Then I noticed that there were SEVEN flower buds on this one stalk. That is so unusual as the most one usually has bloom on one stalk is 2-4 flowers.


There would be more surprises as the second stalk started to bloom. Seven MORE flower buds on this stalk! I was in awe! What an amazing flower this had turned out to be!

FOURTEEN FLOWERS!


The only thing I can think of for this many flowers is that ususally there are also very tall stems and this is all that grew on this plant - two very small leaves.

For whatever reason, this was the most beautiful Amaryllis I have ever had. I will keep it very carefully over the summer so that I can enjoy this wonderful gift again next Christmas!

Thanks for stopping by today!

Wishing you some color of your own today!

Barbara Diane

6 comments:

Rhonda Miller said...

What a colorful plant. What a lovely surprise to have so many flowers. TFS.

Mrs A. said...

Amazing to have so many flowers. I love the colour of this one. I must admit whenever I buy one my hand will always go straight to the pink selection.

Gaby said...

Hi Barbara,

special people deserve special flowers.
You are such a lovely, warm, caring person. This flower surprise is just what you deserved.

Big Hugs,
Gaby

Michelle said...

Hi Barbara

Oh what beautiful flowers and such a lovely surprise for Christmas too.

I have these growing in my garden and I never knew what they were called. I usually only get four flowers per stem.

Hope you are well.

Michelle :-)

Ann said...

I've never had one of those but then I'm not very good with plants. It's lovely though and WOW, 14 blooms. I would say you got a great deal on that plant.

Ruthie said...

this was meant just for you!!!! It's beautiful!